pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

37 - Hibiscus

Hibiscus 8 x 8 Oil on Gessobord $100 - Buy it here.

Lovely hibiscus
drop of dew on its petals
there's beauty in us
- I

I would walk outside where all the potted plants and flowers are and see my mother watering her hibiscus. She had a variety of them coming in different colors. One in pink and white, and others in purple with dark purple specks. They are so delicate and beautiful.

The painting results: I made a mistake of adding too much dull tan paint color in the petals but then quickly resolved it by adding brighter cream colors. It looked much better. I'm also content with the way the purple/pink flower in the top right corner appears. It just looks bright and fresh! Adding hints of bright orange/yellow really brightens up the piece. I picked bright green and teal for the background because it is a contrasting color to red/pink. This would be a great addiction to any bedroom and be reminded to smell the roses once in a while.

No comments: